Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Greetings from Ninh Thuan!

Hello, everyone! What an absolutely amazing last couple of days! We traveled yesterday all day to get here, and it was an experience in itself. It certainly gives us a perspective on Sam's homeland and where he started in life. We got to the hotel and checked in, and we zipped over to the orphanage about 4:30 to see Sam for the first time. I nearly had an anxiety attack on the drive there... not from the crazy driving, although that is anxiety-provoking as well, but from the realization that this little guy that we've loved for so many months was going to see us and...WHAT? perhaps not care for us so much? Who knew? Mom and Dad and Brian and Zoe and I all held hands and said a prayer as we made the short trip there. Mom and I were crying, and then....we met him.

He is the sweetest, most mild-mannered and pleasantly happy little peanut in the whole world. He was totally loving us holding him (all of us! Even Zoe!)He was giggly and seemed to take it all much better than we were!

What an amazing experience, seeing everyone's children that I recognized in an instant! Drew, Sadie, Dillon, Joseph, Layne Nhi, Payton, Bennett, Trung..they were all there! I have pics of all of them and stories to go with them.

The nannies were sweet and loving, and somewhat reserved...until I got out the pics of kids who have come home. They went crazy when they recognized pics of Isaac, Izzy, and Alex; they were all so happy that their little charges had gone on to happy lives. It was such an humbling experience being able to witness their love and dedication.

We came home emotionally and physically exhausted. Not so terribly entertained by the really, really loud Vietnamese karaoke going on at the pool outside our window, but we slept pretty hard.

I woke up at 2 am (again) and tried posting some emails and pics to moms, but apparently none of them got through. Please know, girls, that I've got lots to share with you...I'm not sure what's up with my email, but I'll keep trying. Lori, Nadra, Vietmoms, I have so much to tell you!!!

We got to love on Sam again today (guess what? he's STILL A SWEET PEANUT!) and handed out gifts to the kids. (note to future traveling moms: raisins and bubbles will make you an instant hit with all....) We're taking it easy this afternoon, but are excited about the G & R in the morning. We'll make the long trip back to HCM (with our son! did I mention that?)and get back late in the evening.

Just an amazing, amazing last couple of days. I know in so many ways the starting line is right here, but the finish line to GETTING him is so very very sweet.
Thanks for everyone's love and support. We'll keep you posted!

19 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to hear all the stories! Sounds like Sam is as sweet as those pictures showed him to be. Congratulations!
Lisa

Julie said...

Such a wonderful day for all of you. Can't wait to hear about all the kids. Thank you so much for checking on Bennett. Means the world to us.

Kim said...

The perfect post to wake up to this morning! I am so happy for you guys....and for sweet little Sam! Looking forward to seeing all of you and hearing all about your experiences! Thanks so much for taking the pictures of Isaac!

Nicki said...

I can hear your joy through your post. You have me smiling through tears. I am so happy that Sam likes all of you. Thank you for loving on Joseph for us. The new picture of him from Dillon is making this very hard, as you well know. I look forward to the stories.

Nicki

Nadra said...

I'm have awake reading this. I couldn't wait any longer to get up and see if you'd been able to post. So happy that you're there Shelley and that soon Sam will be yours forever.

Love you!

Heather M. said...

Sounds SUPER!!! I'm so happy that your little boy will be forever yours very soon!!! How exciting! I know it is overwhelming, but it will be life as normal before long! Enjoy the rest of your stay. I know the other moms waiting are very grateful for the info & pics you are getting! :)

Heather M.

kristin said...

ohmigoodness! it sounds like you had an amazing day. i'm so glad things went so well for you... i can totally understand your anxiety. i can't wait to hear all the great stories!

Stacy And Scott said...

I am so happy for your guys. I can't wait to meet Sam and to have our playdates. I am sure that the boys will get a long. I can't wait to see that he is officially yours. I know that all the waiting is so worth it now. I am so happy for you guys.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I am familiar with anxiety and crying in the van. I have so done that!

You know, you said something about him being calm. He might have just been overwhelmed because Jynger says he is a high energy firecracker of a little dude! Watch out! He may be running laps around you today!! : )

Looking forward to more posts and pictures...

Jill and Andy said...

I was so glad things are going so well with Sam!!! Thanks again and again for giving things to Layne Nhi and spending some time with her. You have me all excited and ready to leave for Vietnam NOW!!!!

Kathy said...

SO happy for you! Can't wait to see pictures!

Tina said...

Thank you so much for taking the pictures of Alex to the Nannies. I know it's bitter sweet for them to see the kids leave but hope that getting pics from those already adopted will lighten that burden some what for them. They are a true blessing to our children.
Tina

Jessica said...

I am so happy for you! I am was so suprised to see a post from Ninh Thuan. We were there the internet was so slow that we couldn't post to the blog at all. We were only able to send an email with no pics to my parents and that was it. When you get back to Saigon please post pictures =).

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, joyous post! I'm so thrilled that Sam was loving toward you all and that he'll be part of your family forever very, very soon. Thank you for taking pics of Trung and the other kids. You are so generous with your time and energy!! It means so much to us!!

Dianne said...

This is such an exciting post. I can just tell how much joy you have through your words. I am so excited that you have Sam in your arms. Congratulations!!!!

Melissa Polk said...

I am so happy for your family! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I can't wait to meet Sam and welcome him into our church family!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Shelley- If you guys are posting pics online anywhere (like picasa) please let me know. If email isn't working just leave a comment on my blog.

BY NOW YOU HAVE SAM! HOORAY!

Heather said...

So happy for the good report!!! Enjoy!

Heather
Mom to Sarah (came home from NT in 2006) and Andrew

s said...

Allison and I have been reading your blog and we are so thrilled for you. I got chill bumps as I read your entry- words can not explain our excitement for your family! Allison enjoys looking at the pictures of Zoe and her baby brother. We are looking forward to seeing all four of you back in the U.S.! Congratulations!
Shannon and Allison