Monday, June 16, 2008

3 am and all is well...


 
You know, when we collapsed into bed last night, we thought we'd sleep forever. But Zoe woke me up at 2:30 telling me that she couldn't sleep anymore, and that she'd already been next door to visit my parents (!), and that she was enjoying wearing her new hot pink slippers she'd bought yesterday at the Tax Center (one word for the Tax Center: WOW.)

So here I am, knowing that today is the day we SEE our son...not in pictures, or in video snippets, or via updates provided by our agency...but in real life. There have been times in this process that Sam seemed very abstract..the paperwork, the delays, the frustrations, often seemed quite removed from a real living PERSON. Yet now, I know we're occupying the same country and the same time zone (although obviously not the same sleep schedule). Pretty heavy stuff. Obviously not the kind of thoughts that lull a mom back to sleep. So as in the case of any mom, I'll occupy myself with minutiae... until the 4 hours pass until we load up the van and head to Ninh Thuan.

Tricia and Rob and Ben have been terrific travel partners! Their previous trip to get Ben has benefited us immensely! Both kids were real troopers, and there were no unanticipated delays with any of our flights. We met up with Betsy and Nathan when we landed at Hong Kong. Nice, nice people--their Caleb is gonna have some neat parents! We also visited briefly with the Cooks (also very nice!), who have apparently taken in Vietnam for the last week or so. They'll all head towards Vinh Long and Can Tho this morning, and we'll head to Sam's province of Ninh Thuan. Then after our G&R ceremony on the 19th, we'll all meet back here at HCM and continue on together to Hanoi.

I love these 2 pics: bookends to a thrilling 2 day journey to get here..early on, Zoe and my parents, fresh and wired up on ice cream, awaiting our departure from LR. Then the last one: the setting is our beautiful rooftop restaurant at the Rex. Zoe would have been so thrilled with this huge plate of french fries, had she only been awake. Who would have thought this "becoming a sister" business would be so EXHAUSTING?

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Shelley, I can feel your excitement all the way from the other side of the world! What a great day this is for Sam and his forever family! I hope everyone is well and ready for all this day has in store!
Thinking about you non-stop, Lisa

Nadra said...

Oh my goodness Shelley....the time is almost here. I have chills for you. Can't wait to read all about it and see pictures of Sam in your arms. Thinking about you!!! Hugs all the way from Oklahoma!

Nicki said...

I am so very happy, nervous and excited for you. I hardly know what to say. ENJOY the feelings and emotions and your little Sam. I am very happy to hear Zoe made the trip well. Tell her she is paving the way for Vinh's sister in a few months. ENJOY loving on the children you are checking up on.

Nicki

Julie said...

I'm just bursting with excitment for you guys. I know you are counting down the hours - yes I said hours - until you finally see Sam. Can't wait to read all about it. Enjoy!!!!!!

Jessica said...

glad to hear you all made it there in one peice. Enjoy Ninh Thuan!

Allison said...

Please tell Zoe that Caroline is so excited about her becomming a big sister. She has asked everyday....do they have Sam yet? It has been fun saying VERY Very soon!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Wow!! It is 8pm in VN and you have met Sam by now. I'm so excited I could just burst! You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

Jill and Andy said...

We are very excited for you and can't wait to keep reading about your journey! You are getting me excited for our trip!!!! Can't wait to see photos of you with Sam!!!!

Heather M. said...

So glad you guys are there safely & having fun!! You must have met Sam by now & I can only imagine...!!!! It's real now! Can't wait until you can post some pictures!

Heather M.

lori said...

Wow - by now you may be holding your little Sam!!! I am so happy for you!!! Enjoy your time in Vietnam!

Anonymous said...

You're so close to meeting Sam!! I'm so excited for you, Shelley. Can't wait to see a picture of him in your arms. So, so happy for you!!

(Waiting for Trung in NT)

The Hills said...

Shelley,
We are very excited for you!!! Sam is so blessed to have you as a forever family!
Scarlett